The U-22 is the essential mobile recording and performance interface, with an innovative 2-in/2-out ultra-portable design that makes it easy to connect to a laptop or an iPad and create great-sounding audio anywhere.
The U-22 features a high-performance, low-noise mic preamp so you can record vocals, instruments, and more with pristine sound quality—at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz. The U-22 interface delivers the same excellent sound as our U-44 and U-24, with an even more compact form factor.
Innovative Handy Design
The U-22 can be bus-powered via USB and it’s compact form factor is perfect for use with a laptop or iPad*. The innovative design provides quick access to connectors, knobs, and controls for effortless setup and operation.
* Requires 2 AA batteries or optional AC adapter for power, plus an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter for connection to iPad.
Pristine Recording and Playback
The U-22 features a single high-performance, low-noise mic preamp—the same as our acclaimed H6 Handy Recorders— with less than -120 dBu EIN, as well as recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz. You can also use the U-22 as a studio-quality headphone amp and listen to your favorite music in full fidelity.
The U-22’s XLR/TRS combo input can be used to record with a microphone or line-level source, with 48V phantom power, and Hi-Z support for connecting a guitar or bass. The U-22 is also equipped with a mini stereo input so you can record an iPad, mixer, or other portable audio device.
*The U-22 can record one input at a time. When recording from the LINE IN jack, the XLR/TRS combo input is disabled.
Power Your Live Performance
The U-22 is the perfect audio companion for musicians who incorporate digital audio processing or pre-recorded sound elements into their live performances. Connect your interface to a laptop or iPad, pull up software effects or a looper, and send your processed signal to a mixer or the house PA via RCA stereo outputs.
The U-22’s direct monitoring switch allows you to hear your signal before it passes through the computer, so you can record and mix with zero-latency. Separate RCA output jacks and an independent headphone output provide multiple options for monitoring.
Create More with Your U-22
Includes Ableton Live 9 Lite
When you combine the U-22 with Ableton Live 9 Lite, you have everything the modern music creator needs. Record your tracks quickly and intuitively, enhancing them with studio-quality effects like EQ, compression, reverb, delay, chorus, filter, and more.
Features at a Glance
- Stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad
- XLR/TRS input with high-performance mic preamp (same as acclaimed H6 Handy Recorder)
- High-quality recording and playback at resolutions up to 24-bit/96 kHz
- iPad connection requires an Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit or Lightning-to-USB Camera Adapter (sold separately), plus 2 AA batteries or optional Zoom AD-17 AC adapter for power
- Approximately 5 hours of operation with 2 AA alkaline batteries
- Includes download code for Ableton Live 9 Lite
- Hi-Z support
- Zero-latency direct monitoring
- Dedicated RCA L/R and headphone outputs
- Gain control knob for Mic/Hi-Z input
- +48V phantom power
Here's what comes with the U-22:
- Operation manual
- Ableton Live 9 Lite software download code
- USB Cable
Optional U-22 accessories:
- Zoom AD-17 power supply
- ANALOG IN: MIC/HI-Z
- Connector: XLR/TRS combo jack (XLR: 1 hot, TRS: TIP hot)
- Input gain: 0 – 43 dB
- Input impedance: 2.6 k O (MIC) 484 k O (Hi-Z)
- Maximum input level: -0.8 dBu (MIC) /+8.7 dBu (Hi-Z)
- Phantom power: +48V
- ANALOG IN: LINE IN
- Connector: Stereo mini jack
- Imput impedance: 22 kO
- Maximum input level: +1.0 dBu
- ANALOG OUT: OUTPUT L/R
- Connector: RCA (coaxial)
- Maximum output level: -0.8 dBu (at 0 dBFS) (into 10 kO load)
- Output impedance: 1 kO
- ANALOG OUT: PHONES
- Standard stereo phone jack
- 10 mW x 2 (into 32 O load)
- Output impedance: 10 O
- Frequency characteristics:
- At 44.1 kHz: ±1.5dB: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- At 96 kHz: ±2 dB: 20 Hz - 40 kHz
- Input conversion noise:
- Measured EIN: -120 dB or less (IHF-A)
at 43 dB, 150 O input
- Number of audio recording and playback channels:
- Recording: 2 channels
- Playback: 2 channels
- Sampling frequencies: 96 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 48 kHz, 44.1 kHz
- Bit depth: 24-bit
- Interface: USB 2.0
- Power Source:
- USB bus power (Type B)
- Zoom AD-17 (Micro-B)
- DC 5V power supply (Micro-B)
- 2 AA batteries (About 5 hours continuous operation with phantom power off)
- Power consumption: 5W maximum
- Dimensions: 119.2 mm (D) x 91.8 mm (W) x 44.6 mm (H)
- Weight (main unit only): 151 g